Tuesday, July 26, 2011

breaking the obsession!

Today I took facebook off my  phone.  It really needed to happen months ago but I finally got up the courage to do it today but now here I am feeling the the magnetic pull of the computer.  I don't really DO a lot on facebook but I check it ALL THE FREAKING TIME to see if anyone commented on anything and if no one did then I get bummed out!  So stupid!  I will NOT keep looking to facebook for affirmation that I have friends.  That idea by itself sounds ridiculous anyway.  :)

I've been thinking a lot about friendships recently.  Just read the book So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore in a women's study at church and it was great!  Coming out of the study my hope is that I can live as a loving confident woman/friend/mother who is "clothed in Dignity and Strength."  What does that mean?  For me, it means being emotionally available to people, not just presenting what I want people to see in hopes that I'll be "good enough" for them, to be secure enough that people can disagree with me and it won't rattle my world, to be uplifting and encouraging to people, to show the same grace and forgiveness that God has showered on me, to be comfortable being ME even if it isn't what I consider to be perfect (perfect is boring and unapproachable anyway), to focus on others rather than myself, to have my feet firmly planted in the word so I don't fall on my butt so often, to be more accepting of others' ways of doing things, and to react to life with grace, humor, humility and joy.  Lord help me.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was brave enough to take FB off my phone! I am on it way too much as well. Love this post Melissa! I know that you are a loving creative sweet friend! Now on to the hangin out part.... :)

    ReplyDelete